The Trial of the Chicago 7 is an upcoming legal drama film on Netflix. The film was written and directed by the Oscar-winning Aaron Sorkin (The Social Network, The West Wing, and The Newsroom). After nearly 13 years passing since the original script was drafted, the film is finally on track to make it to our living room screens soon. The film was first suspended in November of 2007 after the Writer Guild of America strike lasted 100 days causing filming delays. It was then resurrected in December 2018 before being put on hold again due to budgetary concerns. Shortly after, the film was revived and ready for distribution.
What is the release date for The Trial of the Chicago 7?
The Trial of the Chicago 7 will be released on Netflix October 16, 2020. It was originally planned to have a limited theatrical release by Paramount Pictures beginning in September; however, due to the COVID-19 pandemic causing many theaters around the world to close, Paramount Pictures sold the rights to the film to Netflix for a reported $56 million. Netflix has confirmed eight theaters are scheduled to release the movie on September 25, 2020 followed by a digital release on Netflix this coming October 16, 2020.
What is the storyline for The Trial of the Chicago 7?
In late 1969, a group of anti-Vietnam War protesters were charged by the federal government with conspiracy after allegedly crossing state lines with the intention of inciting riots at the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago, Illinois. The seven individuals were dubbed The Chicago Seven and named Abbie Hoffman, Jerry Rubin, David Dellinger, Tom Hayden, Rennie Davis, John Froines, and Lee Weiner. The film tells the story of how a peaceful protest turned into a deadly clash with police and National Guard forces for the first time in history, while the nation watched the event unfold in horror on their television screens.
Who has been cast in Netflix’s The Trial of the Chicago 7?
- Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as Bobby Seale
- Sacha Baron Cohen as Abbie Hoffman
- Daniel Flaherty as John Froines
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Richard Schultz
- Michael Keaton as Ramsey Clark
- Frank Langella as Judge Julius Hoffman
- John Carroll Lynch as David Dellinger
- Eddie Redmayne as Tom Hayden
- Noah Robbins as Lee Weiner
- Mark Rylance as William Kunstler
- Alex Sharp as Rennie Davis
- Jeremy Strong as Jerry Rubin
- Kelvin Harrison Jr. as Fred Hampton
- William Hurt as John N. Mitchell
- Rory Cochrane as Homer
- J. C. MacKenzie as Tom Foran
- Ben Shenkman as Leonard Weinglass
- Max Adler as Stan Wojohowski
The Trial of the Chicago 7 Trailer
The official trailer for The Trial of the Chicago 7 Netflix film has been released on September 23rd, 2020.